A History of 451 Main Street

A 1914 area map of Port Washington showing Stannard’s property.

Click on images to enlarge.

Cira 1939 Manhasset Bay Yacht Club

Mr. and Mrs. Whitmer pose with the wreckage of the schooner the Emily Wells at Stannard’s Shipyard, September 1901.

In 1889, six wooden warships and two schooners caught fire at Stannard’s shipyard, burning down to the water line. Eyewitness accounts state that the flames illuminated the skies for miles and smoke filled the streets near the beach. Many thought that either Jamaica or Flushing was burning down, as a glare could be seen as far off as the Rockaways.

A postcard image of the Manhasset Bay Yacht Club (left), dated to sometime in the 1920s, shows an active shipyard in the area to the right of the clubhouse.

Another postcard image taken from the front veranda of the Manhasset Bay Yacht Club during the same 1920s period shows the shipyard next door.

Historical photos and information are Courtesy of The History Center at the Port Washington Public Library. Sincere thanks to the Archivist & Librarian at The History Center at the Port Washington Public Library for all the remarkable historical information and photographs.